Join us this Friday for our Meeting of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC) Sudbury Centre at 7:00PM Friday January 15, online via Zoom. This meeting will feature Clark Muir of KW RASC, talking about Sudbury’s Vatican mirror.
- Welcome: Sudbury RASC President – Alan Ward
- Sudbury’s Historical Vatican Mirror – Clark Muir: As urban legends go, Sudbury’s ‘Vatican Mirror’ delivered a most curious twist. This 20″ telescopic mirror laid idle for decades and has a checkered past that goes back 120 years. Its origins were only discovered by remarkable coincidences and a passion for exploring Canada’s astronomy history. We’ll introduce it to those not familiar with the story and discuss its future.
- Show & Tell – Stargazer Steve
- Break (10min)
- Silvering: An Old Idea New Again – Peter Pekurar: Mirror Coatings – ATMs have developed a breakthrough in refining a chemical process that can easily be performed at home using very obtainable economical materials.
- What’s Up, Doc? – Astronomical Events to plan for.
- Closing Comments/News Etc – An Open Forum for what you’d like to discuss.
Special Note: If any of our members would like to order a 2021 calendar, please go to www.RASC.ca and place an order in the e-Store. The 2021 Calendar is priced at $17.95 Cdn. With taxes and shipping, the price will be $28.48
A big THANK YOU to all of the members who have renewed their membership and a reminder to those who have not yet done so. We really appreciate your support.
To all NEW MEMBERS, welcome to our club. We hope that you enjoy your participation with us.
About the Guest Speaker:
Clark Muir currently lives in Kitchener, Ontario and has had a lifelong interest in astronomy. In earlier years, this was in particular with visual observing. Later on, he developed an interest in researching the history of astronomy with a focus on Canada. He is currently the Chair of the RASC History Committee.
Note: To anyone who isn’t already subscribed to our newsletter and would like to receive it, please use our contact form on our website (www.sudburyastronomyclub.com) with the subject ‘Newsletter Subscription’ and we will add you to the list. You will receive your invitation to the meeting separately via email. Or alternatively, PM Patrick on Facebook for a link. Remember, even if we are in isolation does not mean we still can’t share the wonders of the universe together.